Saturday, January 19, 2019



Ginger is actually doing a little better over the last couple of days.  Our farrier stopped by again on Friday to trim and shoe two other mares and while he was here he checked on her.  She still isn't putting her heel down as much as he'd like so we are going to keep checking each day and if she isn't doing that regularly in one week, he will come back and put an even larger wedge pad on that foot.  Today, I spent time with her in her stall and in the arena.  I noticed her relaxing that foot a little more than she has.  When I was hand walking her in the arena she actually jumped at the wind noise and then she just walked back to me like there was no problem.  That was the most encouraged I've been in a while.

The only other change we've made is to change her pain medication.  On a recommendation from our friends at BSB Quarterhorses, we asked our vet about switching to Equioxx, which is a different nsaid than we've been using.  It has less of an impact on her digestive system and it impacts different pain receptors.  They used it on a horse they cared for with a similar problem and it made it difference.  Our vet sent me a bottle and she's had it now for three days.  So far so good.  If you don't rely on the knowledge of others you will never get anywhere with horses.  No matter how much you know, how much you study, how much you read and do, there is always something to learn.  I've said it before that they are a great resource and they have more experience than I will ever have.  They are such great horse women and I truly appreciate their friendship.

So now we are about 1 month away from Ginger's delivery.  I anticipate more ups and downs but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

As for the picture, Ginger was being hand walked by Natalie and she layed down and rolled.  She stayed down for a minute to just rest and while she was down, her pasture buddy, Ernie Drives A Lexus, came over to check on her.  They really like each other and Ginger just let Victoria rub on her and groom her.  Some people like mares and some do not.  I love mares because at the soul, they care about their herd mates.  They are also capable of incredible tenderness.  I see it with the way they care for their babies and I see it when they care for each other.  Not a day goes by when I am not touched by their tenderness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment